8.14.2011

Post Penland, Installment #1


Somehow I made it through another session at the Penland School of Crafts. My 15th to be exact. You would figure, with the 14 prior classes under my belt, that I would know what I was getting myself into. One might think that I would have learned how to pace myself, how to deal with studio assistant needs, and how to avoid staying up till 3 each night after working in the studio till 1am. Next time, I might just go in expecting the unexpected...

Really though, it was another amazing workshop. It was called, From Pulp to Print and was co taught by the paper maker Helen Hiebert and alternative process photographer Alyssa Salomon. The fabulous Jamie Knight and myself were their noble assistants and together we moved that "big ship" through the process of making our own paper, doing alternative process photographs on that paper, and finally, to create some kind of sculptural form from the prints... a lot to learn in 2 1/2 weeks. Jamie and I did manage to find some time for our own work during the class which I will share with younz over the next few posts, starting with these two Cyanotypes on handmade paper.

No comments: