8.18.2011

Paper as Paper




As I mentioned in the previous post, the premise of the recent workshop I assisted at Penland was to make our own paper to print photographs on. I set a bad example early on when I realized that I like the paper for what it was, without any pictures on it. I was also getting really excited about these silly catch phrases that I found repeated on all of our signs and billboards.

These pieces are made by laying down a base sheet of a certain color paper. Then I would pull a second sheet of a different color paper that had vinyl text attached to the mold, preventing pulp from settling in that area. Finally, I would lay that sheet on top of the previous one, and where the vinyl letters were, the base sheet would show through. My mind is still racing over all of the possibilities here.

No comments: